PGCE Primary with Humanities and Religious Education
This primary teacher education course is designed for graduates who are committed to becoming primary school teachers. It trains you to teach children in the five to 11 age range. As a trainee, you will learn how to teach the entire primary curriculum as well as choosing a particular route. On the Humanities and Religious Education (RE) route you will gain the additional skills, knowledge, and confidence to take on a leadership role in the field in the future.
- Learning and teaching across the curriculum and effective pedagogy (core)
- Developing and extending understanding of a specific area/subject (Humanities and RE) (core)
- Professional practice: inclusive practice in multicultural urban settings (core)
- Developing Understanding and Skills in English and Mathematics (core)
- Managing Professional Change and Development: active inquiry leading to classroom intervention (option)
- Critical Incidents in Teaching (core)
- Technology-enhanced Learning (core)
By working alongside schools and local authorities in our region, we are helping to meet the need for teachers in our local area and many of our students are offered posts by our partner schools. Some trainees have been offered jobs at schools where they have spent their placement. Schools and local authorities have told us that they think our trainees are of a high standard. OFSTED’s 2012 inspection report quotes one school as saying, “They arrive in schools ready to start teaching and are well prepared for the rigors of the classroom.” Backed by UEL’s good reputation, you will have a head start when it comes to securing a teaching post. And when you are in a post and decide that you wish to take your academic qualifications further, we can help you to continue your academic and professional development.